Saturday, July 23, 2011

White Chicken Chili

I know I've made this before, and I'm pretty sure I've put it up, but I can't seem to find it.  So, no links to last time.

Everytime I make white chicken chili it's different than the last.  Sometimes I add celery.  Sometimes I add rice.  Othertimes the spices are different.  This time is no different.

You start by adding 48oz of great northern beans (I use a big jar of randall's, or three 15 oz cans) into your crockpot.  Rinse the can/jar out 1/2 way, and add water.  Alternately, if you have some on hand, you can add chicken broth.  I didn't have any on hand so I used water.  You add some chicken (cooked, or not cooked, it'll cook in the crock pot), and some salsa.  If you wanna be cool, you can cut up a tomato, and an onion and add them, but I used salsa tonight.  Then I added seasonings.  I added a dash or two of cumin, herbes de provence, parsely, minced onion, basil and black pepper.  I also added 2-3 bay leaves.  What spices you use is totally up to you and what you have in your spice rack/cabnet.  I have an extensive spice array, so I use whatever I feel will work.  I hear that mint would work well also.  I'll have to try it next time.

After a bit of time, you pull the chicken out and shred it with two forks, and put it back in.  Also check your seasonings at this time.  TJ decided (since I made it up to him) that it needed a little something else so he added chili seasonings and said it was "perfect."  I'll have to admit, it was good.

We ate the entire pot tonight, no leftovers for tomorrow or next week. 

While the flavors are combining and the chicken is cooking you need to stir it occassionally.

This is what my finished product looked like.

After putting it in bowls to eat, I topped it with cheese, which melted.  You can also add croutons, which I currently have none of, it adds crunch. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment