Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

I've made this once before (over here) but I changed it up this time.  I never like to do things the same, theres always something to be experimented with.

I also took pictures this time too.  It smelled wonderful while it was cooking; too bad you can't transport smells via the internet.

First preheat your oven to 400*F.  And put 1/2 stick of butter in a pot (stock pot or skillet with sides) to melt.

Chop finely 1/2 an onion, carrot, celery and green (or other color, I had green on hand) pepper.







Add to melted butter and let cook for a few minutes.  It will start to smell good right now.








Add cooked chicken and flour, stir to combine.  Continue cooking (and stirring) for 3-5 minutes.







Add 2 cups of chicken broth (I used 2 cups of the stuff I made cooking the chicken right before making dinner.  Fresh!)







Bring to a slow boil; Add in scant 1/3 c small pasta (I used Alphabet pasta) and let cook a bit till the sauce is thick. Also add in salt pepper and fresh/dried thyme.  I don't have fresh herbs (they cost too much money) so I use dried. Taste it to make sure you have proper amounts of seaonings.




Pour mixture into a cassarole or pie dish.  I used a 8 or 9 inch cake tin, cuz my pie plates aren't deep enough.







Place the crust on top of the pan, crimp edges.  Slit top of pie crust so it can breath.







Place in the oven for 30 minutes or until browned and bubbly.  Let stand for 4-5 minutes, serve, eat.

Its really really yummy.  I liked the addition of green pepper and pasta.  Wonder what I'll add next time.

I used a premade (store-bought) pie crust, although you could certainly make your own.  If you do that, however, make sure its 1 inch larger on all sides than your pie dish.



1 pie crust
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup finely diced carrot
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1/2 cup finely diced bell pepper (any color!)
2 cups cooked chicken
1/4 cup flour
2 cups low-sodium chicken
scant 1/3 c small pasta (I used alphabet pasta)
dried thyme
dried rosemary
salt and pepper to taste


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Melt butter in a skillet or dutch oven. Add onion, carrots, pepper, and celery, and cook until translucent.  Add chicken and stir. Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir. Cook over medium heat for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly. Pour in chicken broth, stirring constantly. Add pasta if desired.

Bring to a slow boil and allow mixture to cook and thicken for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, and dried thyme and rosemary to taste. Do one final taste at the end and add what it needs.

Pour mixture into a casserole dish or deep pie pan. Roll out crust so that it’s about 1 inch larger than the pan you’re using. Place the crust on top of the pot pie mixture, and press crust into the sides of the dish. Cut vents in the top of the crust.

Bake for 30 minutes or until very golden and bubbly.

Allow to cool for a little bit before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment