Wednesday, August 24, 2011

rainbow cookies!

So I got this recipe from Jessica over at How Sweet Eats.  Love her recipes!  Unfortunately, they're almost all dessert recipes, and I don't make dessert or sweets very often because TJ doesn't like them, so I'd be the only one eating them...NOT GOOD! :P

I also made these at my mom's using her ingredients and dishes - thats why the dishes are cooler :P  Hey, her bowls are multicolored, mine are either clear, or blue...


Start out by  microwaving your butter so it is melted, let cool (either by sticking it in the fridge, or putting it on the counter.










Put all your dry ingredients (minus the sugars) into a bowl, mix with a fork (in lieu of sifting, I don't own a sifter)










Be strange like me and make "sand castles" with your brown sugar.  Take pictures like me.















Put "snow" (white sugar) on your brown sugar sand castle.

I'm having way too much fun with my food.  :sigh:









Use a whisk and combine your sugars.  No more time to play with your food :(











Add the butter to the sugars.  Add the dry ingredients to the buttery sugars also.











One of the best things in life is right here.

Measure out 1 cup (or so...) of M&Ms.  I couldn't find mini M&Ms, so I used regular chocolate M&Ms.  I wonder what it would taste like with peanut butter M&Ms....hmmm







Add your M&Ms to the mix, fold in gently.


Now here's where i deviated from the recipe.  My dough was too soft, so I should have refrigerated it, instead I forged on with the recipe.  So if your dough is too soft, you can add more flour, or refrigerate it, whatever you think is necessary.  Just make sure your dough is firm enough to make into balls.




You're supposed to make your dough into balls, and tear them apart and stack them like Jessica does in this picture.  My dough was too soft, so I just made regular cookies.  They turned out fine.








Bake.  Eat.  Watch out for hot pieces of chocolate :P



YUM!







2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) of salted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup mini m&m’s (or something else that you love)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Microwave your butter till melted. Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the butter and sugars until they are combined (and look like the first picture above). Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Gradually add flour and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. Fold in the m&m’s.
Divide the dough how you choose (1/4 cup portions for 18 large cookies or 2 tablespoon portions for 36 smaller cookies). Shape each portion into a ball with your hands then pull each ball into two equal pieces. Turn each half so that the rough side of the half (what used to be the inside of the ball) faces upwards and then squish both halves together. Place the dough rough-side up on a baking sheets. If you’re doing large cookies, I’d leave about 2 inches in between each.
Bake for 12-15 minutes (large cookies) or 8-12 minutes (small cookies) or until the edges are slightly brown. The centers should be soft and puffy. Do not over bake. Let cool completely then dig in!
Thanks Jessica for another wonderful recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment