Saturday, August 13, 2011

Beef enchiladas

So I was looking through my computer at recipes and wondering what to do for dinner when I came across mom's chicken enchiladas recipe.  I've made it once before but cannot find the post, musta not made one for it.  Anyway I took to scouring the internet (read: searching google) for beef enchilada recipes.  I did use my mom's sauce recipe, as I had everything in the house for it, and I didn't have the items for the other enchilada sauce.  :shrug:

So first you start off by browning the meat.  While the meat is browning you dice up zucchini and onion.








After browning meat, put it in a bowl and drain the fat from the pan.







Add a little bit of oil if needed and saute the zucchini and onion.







Make the sauce by dumping all the ingredients into a bowl.  I used a sauce pan.  You don't need to heat the items up, so the sauce pan was not necessary.  Oops.






Spread some sauce in the bottom of the 9x13 pan.








Assemble your enchiladas - tortilla with meat/zucchini mix, cheese and sauce, rolled up tight and placed in the 9x13 pan.  Pack them in there tight, no problem.






Spread remaining sauce mix on top, cover with alum foil, place in oven.








After 1/2 hour in a 350*F oven, take it out, uncover, and put cheese on top - as much as you want! Put it back in the oven for about 5 min, or until the cheese is melted.






Take out, and enjoy!  So yummy









I also boiled corn for 10-15 minutes until it was done and it was yummy also.  I should grill it next time....









Recipe for beef enchiladas:

1 lb ground beef
1.5 cups diced onion
1.5 cups diced zucchini
12 tortillas
enchilada sauce (recipe below)
cheese (whichever you prefer)

enchilada sauce:

small amount oil
couple shakes chopped onion (I took the easy way out and used dried.  You could certainly use a real onion...)
5-6 shakes chili powder
29 oz tomato sauce
1/2 c water


Preheat oven to 350*F.  Brown beef in pan on stove, drain, place in bowl.  In same pan, saute chopped onion and diced zucchini.  Add a bit of oil if needed, I didn't need it.  Make sauce.  Warm up tortillas if you wish, I use them cold.  Put the saute'd zucchini/onion mix in the bowl with the meat, mix.  Place a small amount of sauce in the bottom of the 9x13 pan and tilt to cover the whole pan.  Start assembling the enchiladas.  Take a tortilla, put some meat mixture on it, cover with cheese, cover with sauce, roll up and place in the pan.  Repeat for all of the meat mixture.  You will have sauce and cheese left over.  You may squish the enchiladas to get them to fit.  Pour the rest of the sauce mixture ontop of the enchiladas.  Cover the pan with foil and bake for 1/2 hour.  Take foil off, top with cheese and bake for another 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.  Take out and eat.


To boil corn on the cob you shuck corn, take off silk strings, fill a pot with water, boil it, boil corn 10-20 minutes until its done to your likeness.  I had TJ check it, so I'm not sure what "done" corn feels like.


No comments:

Post a Comment