Saturday, January 7, 2012

Panko-crusted lime Arizona Dream Chicken and Forward! Hashbrowns

Long title.  I know.  But bear with me.



I got new spices for christmas.  Awesome ones.  From a store called Penzey's in Grand Rapids that does only spices.  I haven't been in there yet because I know I will spend way too much money on spices.  I seem to collect spices, I have a lot of them.  I added more to my collection, I should update the "my kitchen" page.  I received the "Kind Heart" Gift box of four different spices.



I decided I would try out the flavors on some food.  I didn't add enough of the flavors to actually *taste* them, so I cannot comment on how they taste.  I can tell you tho, that they smell really good :D



I used the "Arizona dream" on the chicken and the "Forward!" on the hashbrowns, in recommendation from the papers that came with the spices.  A few days later I could taste the spices, as they had time to meld in the fridge and it was really good.  I totally recommend it :)



Start by chopping 4 idaho potatoes into smallish chunks and soaking in a bowl of water. Let sit in water till ready to go in the pan.


Chop up the rest of your veggies.  I used 2 zucchini, 1 yellow squash thing, and 1 red pepper.


Add potatoes and some olive oil (mine is garlic infused) to a frying pan and start roasting.  It will take a while.



When the potatoes are starting to get some color, add the Zucchini and lament about the size of your pan being too small.


When the zucchini starts getting roasted add some Forward! seasoning to it, or whatever seasonings you may have on hand.



Add your butternut squash and red pepper and lament some more about the size of your pan.  Wish you had bought a larger one with your christmas money from your siblings.


ADD THE BACON.  this is the best part of the hash browns...BACON.  Bacon makes everything better.  I will prove that later this year with some interesting recipes.  Hang around and find out :D

Keep roasting your veggies and mixing them around every so often so they don't burn.  Also, keep lamenting the fact that your pan is too small, the lighting isn't good enough, and that there's no daylight because its 7pm.


Defrost your chicken, I did mine in the microwave due to sharing a kitchen with two other people.



Cut a lime.  DO NOT lick your hands you'll make a funny face.  Ask me how I know.  My housemate laughed at me.  How nice of him, right?!


Juice the lime (1/4 of it) over the bottom of the pan.


Zest some of the lime into a bowl that has panko and parmesan cheese in it as well.  It will smell REALLY GOOD.  don't eat it.  I doubt it would taste good.  blech.

Insert picture of beaten eggs here (yes, i didn't get one)

Beat two eggs in a bowl.


Dunk the chicken in the egg, rolling to coat it completely.


Roll it in the panko/parm cheese/zest mix, making sure its completely covered.


Place it in the pan.


Do the same with the rest of the pieces of chicken.  I only did 3, but there was enough egg and zest mix for at least 5 more pieces of chicken.  Sprinkle Arizona Dream on top of each piece of chicken.  Also put some lime juice on top of each piece.  How much you like lime and how many pieces you have determines how much lime needed.

Put in the oven for 30-45 minutes at 350*f.  Take out when juice runs clear and the meat thermometer says the proper time for poultry.

DINNER!!!!!

Exclaim to your friends how good dinner is and don't they want to eat with you, but offer the 2nd piece of chicken to your housemate, along with some hash browns :D  Thankfully, he accepted :D

Hash browns:
4 idaho potatoes, scrubbed, cubed
2 zucchini
1 yellow squash thing
1 red pepper (or any color, really)
bacon bits
olive oil
spices (I used Forward! from Penzey's, see link at beginning of post).

Start by chopping all your veggies.  Put the potatoes and oil into the pan, start roasting.  Add spices, stir. Add zucchini, roast.  Add squash, roast.  Add red pepper, roast.  Add bacon bits, roast for a small bit. 

Makes 5 servings.

Lime chicken:

3 chicken breasts, defrosted
1 lime
panko
parm cheese
lime zest (from the lime)
2 eggs
spices (I used Arizona Dream from Penzey's, see link at beginning of post).

Defrost chicken.

Add panko, parm cheese, and lime zest into bowl.

Add beaten eggs to another bowl.

Dip the chicken in the eggs, then into the panko mix and then place in pan.

Bake at 350* for 30-45 minutes or until done.


Makes 3 servings.

Serve with hash browns. 




***Don't forget to enter the give away!***

1 comment: