Sunday, July 3, 2011

4th of july food

I made cake and cupcakes for whatever I end up doing on the 4th.  Nope, no plans yet...

This is what I made:










To do so, I used a red velvet cake mix and made 12 cupcakes and 1 round cake.


cake mix







with eggs, oil, and water...it turned red from chocolate...cool!







Use a mixer (mines my moms from the 80s...it has one speed!) and mix it up.






You'll get this...blood red cake mix.  YUM!  wheres the zombies?






put it into muffin pans.  Don't be like me and flour them...use liners (I don't have any) or just spray them.






I didn't take pictures of making the frosting - you need 8oz cream cheese, 8oz cool whip and a bag or piping equipment...I used a freezer zippy bag cuz I am NOT a cake decorator, as you will see...:D




piping on cream cheese frosting...I do pretty good with lines.  I used blue frosting under the blueberries for the stars...Some of them didn't have blueberries as I don't like blueberries, but TJ does.




platefull of finished ones.  Out of 12 cupcakes, i got 7 finished ones.  I used the others that weren't thick enough to cut out for the stripes and the lower part of the flag.





Cake.  Using up cream cheese frosting for stripes (2 wide) and the white background for the stars.  I used a knife (would have been better with an offset spatula, but i don't have any) to spread it around so it wasn't lumpy.  I then licked the knife.  YUM!



Finished cake.  I put blue dots with the betty crocker blue frosting and pushed blueberries into it.  Looks yummy for whatever party we end up going to on Monday.







I got this recipe from Erica over at Sweet tooth.  She has some pretty yummy looking desserts!  I look forward to making more of her ideas later on this summer/fall/winter.


You can click on any photo to enlarge it.

1 box red velvet cake
1 8 oz container Cool Whip
4 oz cream cheese
Blueberries 
 
mix up red velvet cake
bake

combine cream cheese and cool whip.  put in a bag, cut off tip.  use as you would to frost stuff.  

use blueberries for flags.

I also used blue frosting i bought at the store

No comments:

Post a Comment